Alabama law requires you, the consumer, to be informed about the types of services which real estate licensees may perform. The purpose of this disclosure is to give you a summary of these services.

An ERA® Ben Porter Realtor can act as :

A Single Agent is a licensee who represents only one party in a sale. That is, a single agent represents his or her client. The client may be either the seller or the buyer. A single agent must be completely loyal and faithful to the client.
A Sub-agent is another agent/licensee who also represents only one party in a sale. A sub-agent helps represent the same client. The client may be the buyer or the seller. A sub-agent must also be completely loyal and faithful to the client.
A Limited Consentual Dual Agent is a licensee for both the buyer and the seller. This may be done only with the written, informed consent of all parties. This type of agent must also be completely loyal and faithful to the client, except where the duties owed to the clients conflict with each other.
A Transaction Broker assists one or more parties who are customers, in a sale. A transaction broker is not an agent and does not perform the same services as an agent.

Alabama law imposes the following obligations on all real estate licensees to all parties, no matter their relationship:

  • To provide services honestly and in good faith;
  • To exercise reasonable care and skill;
  • To keep confidential any information gained in confidence, unless disclosure is required by law or duty to a client or the information becomes public knowledge or disclosure is authorized in writing;
  • Present all offers promptly to the seller;
  • Answer your questions completely and accurately.

Further, even if you are working with a licensee who is not your agent, there are many things the licensee may do to assist you. Some examples are:

  • Provide information about properties;
  • Show properties;
  • Assist in making a written offer;
  • Provide information on financing.

You should choose which type of service you want from a licensee, and sign a brokerage service agreement.  If you do not sign an agreement, by law the licensee working with you is a transaction broker.  The licensee's broker is required by law to have on file an office policy describing the company's brokerage services. You should feel free to ask any questions you have.  The Alabama Real Estate Commission requires the real estate licensee to sign, date and provide you a copy of this form.  Your signature is not required by law or rule, but would be appreciated.